Once the project idea has been identified, the classification, category, and type of project must be determined.
NEW Classification – ATTENTION
Here are the Science Fairs Classes, depending of your school level.
- Juvenile 1 :Elementary level, cycle 1
- Juvenile 2: Elementary level, cycle 2
- Juvenile 3: Elementary level, cycle 3
- Junior: secondary 1
- Intermediate: secondary 2 and 3
- Senior: secondary 4 and 5
- Collegial 1 : 1st and 2nd year of a pre-university program
- Collegial 2 : 1st to 3rd year of a technical program, or 3rd year of a Double Dec programs
Note that Collegial 2 class – Technical Students and 3rd Year of the Double DEC are not eligible to participate in the Canada-Wide Science Fair. However, they are eligible for the International Science Fair.
All Science Fair projects are presented according to a classification defined by the Science Fair program.
Starting with the 2018-2019 edition, there are five classifications.
For each classification, a non-exhaustive list was drawn to guide you in identifying the classification best representing your project’s field of expertise.
- Biological and health sciences
- Living organisms
- Nature and properties of living organisms
- Biomedical sciences
- Human biology and physiology
- Microbiology and immunology
- Pharmaceutical sciences and drug development
- Pure sciences
- Mathematics and statistics
- Chemistry and chemical engineering
- Geology and geomorphology
- Environment and ecosystems
- Environmental resources
- Habitat biodiversity
- Natural resources and sustainable development (e.g.: agribusiness, energy, etc.)
- Energy sources and forms
- Engineering, computer science, robotics applications
- Computer engineering and software
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Aerospace engineering
- Building engineering
- Industrial engineering
- Construction engineering
- Social sciences and social networks
- Information and communications technologies (e.g. social media)
- Human behaviour (psychology, psychoeducation, industrial relations, etc.)
- Education and behavioral studies
The type of Science Fair project refers to how you will deal with your subject. There are three approaches:
In the “Tools” sections, you will find all the information you need to clearly distinguish the project types.
From Experimentation to Study
Sometimes, an idea for Study project can easily be taken a bit further to become an Experimentation or Design project.